Did you know tests show students lose about 2.5 months of math computation skills during summer break? Teachers spend on average 4-6 weeks of the new school year getting students back on track. We must keep our students thinking and challenged all year long. Math, Science and Language Arts Skills are practiced each day along with great facts and tips about other subject areas. Books are suggested for Summer Reading. Summer Learning will keep your child learning all through the summer in a fun way!
SAT and ACT Test Preparation
Free Online Practice Resources for ACT Tests and SAT Tests! I4C now offers free SAT and ACT vocabulary and math quizzes. Become a free member and log in as much as you'd like. Students can take practice tests on 5000 vocabulary words. or over 1000 math problems. Parents and Mentors can log in to monitor your scores - including seeing which vocabulary words they missed. Interactive quizzes allow the test taker to retake and study as much as they want.
July Blog: 5 Ways High School Teachers Can Incorporate Technology Into Student Learning How have you used technology this summer?
July 2013 Picks
Teacher Resources | Parent Resources | Technology Tips |
Summer is in full swing! We're on our 2nd month of break already. Celebrate July 4th, Ice Cream Month, Picnic Month, and more. We hope you are taking advantage of the Summer Learning Program. Visit our monthly newsletter to see all the details. Below are just a few highlights.
WHAT'S HAPPENING THIS MONTH?
Here are just a couple of the May events that you can celebrate this month.
- National Ice Cream Month - Did you know President Ronald Reagan designated July as National Ice Cream Month in 1984? Learn about the history of ice cream and how ice cream is made. Find crafts, activities, and delicious ice cream recipes here!
- National Picnic Month - July is National Picnic Month! Find creative recipes, picnic-themed songs, books, and games for preschoolers, and fun picnic-themed activates. Find tips for planning a picnic here.
- Canada Day (7/1) - Happy Canada Day! Today is the anniversary of Canada's creation in 1867. Learn about Canada's history, geography, and people. Celebrate Canada Day with fun crafts, games, printables, and recipes.
- Battle of Gettysburg (7/1-7/3) - This year is the 150th Anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg, the turning point of the American Civil War. Learn more about Gettysburg and find Civil War activities, printables, and interactive maps here.
- Fourth of July - Independence Day - Did you know that the Declaration of Independence was approved by the Continental Congress on this day in 1776? Read the Declaration of Independence this Fourth of July and learn about the American Revolution. Check out I4C's Fourth of July page for crafts, activities, and printables to help you celebrate!
- Ramadan (7/9) - Ramadan is the ninth month of the Islamic calendar. Muslims fast from sunrise to sunset and this period of spiritual reflection and purification lasts an entire month. Learn more about Ramadan and its history and find activities and recipes here.
- First Landing on the Moon/Moon Day (7/20) - "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind." Apollo 11 landed on the moon on this day in 1969. Watch a video of the moon landing and learn about this historical space mission through biographies, fun activities, and books.
- Beatrix Potter's Birthday (7/28/1866) - Happy Birthday Beatrix Potter! Celebrate the children's author by reading some of her stories and learn about her life.
- NASA Formed (7/29) - Did you know that NASA stands for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration? NASA was created on this day in 1958 by President Dwight D. Eisenhower. Explore our Space page for elementary school for fun activities. Also check out our Astronomy pages to learn about our solar system, stars, and our universe.
- While summer break is a time for rest and relaxation, it's also a great time for prepping for the upcoming school year. Visit our Teacher Tools page for lesson plan ideas, classroom strategies, and curriculum resources.
- Teacher to parent communication is so important, not only to a child's education but the teacher's work performance itself. Read this interesting piece about what teachers really want to tell parents.
- While technology has been extremely helpful in education, there have been some issues that represent the significant constraints on the adoption of technology in the classroom. Read more about them here.
- Stress to your students the importance of dental hygiene... bad teeth can affect their future endeavors! Read more.
- Don't forget to follow us on Twitter . I4C is always striving to keep you informed in the industry's latest resources, tips, and educational news.
- Go to our grade level help for lesson plans, activities, instructionals, and tools organized by grade and subject.
- Make sure your kids SIGN UP FOR OUR FREE SUMMER LEARNING PROGRAM! Get free summer learning activities,summer reading lists, summer lesson reviews, and more.
- Don't let summer turn into a vacation from healthy eating! Visit our Nutrition and Wellness page to teach your kids the importance of a healthy diet through fun activities and delicious and nutritious recipes.
- Prepare for the Fourth of July with I4C! Find Independence Day themed crafts, activities, and printables to use this holiday.
- Be safe on the Fourth of July! Teach your kids about fireworks safety in preparation for the holiday.
- Summer vacation means fun in the sun! Keep you and your kids safe with these tips about sun and water safety.
- Parent Zone- A comprehensive list of everything school related, including homework help, reading help, all subject areas, and educational games.
- Remember to Change Your Passwords - Don't forget to change your passwords from time to time to keep your personal information safe, especially on online bank accounts and your email! Find more tech help.
- Refresh Your Page - Quickly refresh your browser page by pressing the F5 key on your keyboard! Learn more about keyboard shortcuts.
- Search the Internet Effectively - Find what you're looking for on your internet search by putting a phrase in parenthesis. The search will look for that phrase specifically. Find more search engine tips here.
We also have other basic instruction in Microsoft Office, including Word 2007, Excel 2007, Powerpoint 2007.
OTHER AREAS OF INTEREST
- Resources for Educators - In this section you can find classroom resources for Exceptional Children, Smartboards, Character Education, Web 2.0 Resources and other topics.
- Resources for Parents - Parents can find resources on assisting their children with homework, time management, Internet Safety, subject area resources, grade level resources and more.