October 17: What Happened on This Day in History (Elementary Level)?
(Page last edited 10/12/2017)
- 1604 - Kepler's Star: German astronomer Johannes Kepler observes a supernova in the constellation Ophiuchus.
- 1907 - Guglielmo Marconi's company begins the first commercial transatlantic wireless service between Glace Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada and Clifden, Ireland.
- 1956 - Donald Byrne Vs. Bobby Fischer play a famous chess game called The Game of the Century. Fischer beat Byrne and wins a Brilliancy prize.
- 1979 - Mother Teresa awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.
- 2003 - The pinnacle is fitted on the roof of Taipei 101, a 101-floor skyscraper in Taipei, allowing it to surpass the Petronas Twin Towers in Kuala Lumpur by 56 metres (184 ft) and become theWorld's tallest highrise.
- Famous Birthdays: Pope John Paul I, Jerry Siegel (American cartoonist), Robert Atkins (American nutritionist), Evel Knievel (American motorcycle daredevil), Herbert Howells (English composer)
For famous birthdays and other daily events in history, visit our Daily Dose Activities.