October 16: What Happened on This Day in History (Elementary Level)?
(Page last edited 10/12/2017)
- 1882 - The Nickel Plate Railroad opens for business.
- 1923 - The Walt Disney Company is founded by Walt Disney and his brother, Roy Disney.
- 1944 - Wally Walrus, Woody Woodpecker's first steady foil, was debuted at the The Beach Nut, a Walter Lantz's cartoon.
- 1986 - Reinhold Messner becomes the first person to summit all 14 Eight-thousanders.
- 2002 - Bibliotheca Alexandrina in the Egyptian city of Alexandria, a commemoration of the Library of Alexandria that was lost in antiquity, is officially inaugurated.
- Famous Birthdays: Oscar Wilde (Irish writer), John Mayer (American musician), Paul Strand (American photographer), Rembrandt Bugatti (Italian sculptor), Noah Webster (American lexicographer)
For famous birthdays and other daily events in history, visit our Daily Dose Activities.