History: What Happened Today?
- In 1776, the Declaration of Independence was first publicly read at Independence Square, in Philadelphia. Citizens were summoned by the ringing of the Liberty Bell.
- In 1777, Vermont became the first state to abolish slavery.
- In 1796, the U.S. State Department issued the first passport.
- In 1835, the Liberty Bell cracked at the funeral for Chief Justice John Marshall.
- In 1870, Congress authorizes registration of trademarks.
- Famous Birthdays: City of Paris (Turned 2000 in 1951), John D. Rockefeller (American philanthropist and businessman), Nelson Rockefeller (American politician, NY governor and US Vice President), Wolfgang Puck (chef), Steve Lawrence (singer), Jaden Smith (actor), Beck (musician)
For famous birthdays and other daily events in history, visit our Daily Dose Activities.