History: What Happened Today?
- In 1550, Chocolate was introduced.
- In 1846, the United States annexed California.
- In 1898, the United States annexed Hawaii.
- In 1981, the first solar-powered aircraft, Solar Challenger, crosses English Channel.
- In 1981, President Reagan announced the nomination of Arizona Judge Sandra Day O'Connor as the first female justice on the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Famous Birthdays: Dr. Watson (sidekick of Sherlock Holmes), Marc Chagall (artist), Doc Severinsen (bandleader), Lisa Leslie (basketball player), Michelle Kwan (figure skater), Shelley Duvall (actress)
For famous birthdays and other daily events in history, visit our Daily Dose Activities.