July 29: What Happened on This Day in History (Elementary Level)?
(Page last edited 10/12/2017)
- In 1715, 10 Spanish treasure galleons sink off of the Florida coast due to a hurricane.
- In 1914, transcontinental telephone service began with the first phone conversation between New York and San Francisco.
- In 1920, the first transcontinental airmail flight took place between New York and San Francisco.
- In 1958, President Dwight D. Eisenhower signs a bill creating NASA, a civilian organization responsible for coordinating the U.S. activities in space.
- In 1974, the Episcopal Church began ordaining female priests.
For famous birthdays and other daily events in history, visit our Daily Dose Activities.