History: What Happened Today?
- In 1691, Yorktown, Virginia was founded.
- In 1858, a telegraph was sent by Queen Victoria of England to U.S. President James Buchanan over recently laid trans-Atlantic cable.
- In 1898, Edwin Prescott patents the roller coaster.
- In 1954, Time Inc. begins publishing Sports Illustrated.
- In 2008, Michael Phelps won the 100-meter butterfly for his seventh gold medal of the Beijing Olympics, which tied the 1972 record of American swimmer Mark Spitz.
- Famous Birthdays: Sarah Porter (American educator), Jules Laforgue (French Poet), T. E. Lawrence "Lawrence of Arabia" (English archaeologist, author and military strategist), Madonna (singer), Steve Carell (actor), Donovan Leitch (singer)
For famous birthdays and other daily events in history, visit our Daily Dose Activities.