June 2017 Picks
Summer Learning Program | June Blog | App of The Month |
What's Happening | New- Online Practice | New- Printables |
New- Answer Keys | Teacher Resources | Parent Resources |
Technology Tips | Other Areas of Interest | Common Core |
SAT and ACT Test Preparation
June brings Black Music Month, Child Vision Awareness Month, Flag Day, Father's Day, the First Day of Summer, and much more. Visit our monthly newsletter to see all the details.
Summer Learning Program
Did you know that......
- All students experience learning losses when they do not engage in educational activities during the summer.
- On average, students lose approximately 2.6 months of grade level equivalency in mathematical computation skills during the summer months.
- Research shows that teachers typically spend between 4 to 6 weeks re-teaching material that students have forgotten over the summer.
Become a free member and log in each day to find Math, Science, Language Arts, History and more. Our Summer Learning Program will begin in June.
How To Directions for signing up to either Summer Learning or/and SAT/ACT test prep.
June Blog: How to Have a Restful Vacation And Gain Strength For The New School Year
This month's blog is How to Have a Restful Vacation And Gain Strength For The New School Year. Finally! It's the end of the term. You worked hard this semester, and you're ready for a well-deserved vacation. Before you make plans, take a moment to think. Were you tired a lot this past semester? Did you have the energy you needed to get all of your work done, and enjoy a decent social life? Maybe you should focus on increasing your energy and having a vacation builds up your reserves rather than sapping them. Guest blogger Ashley Kornee is a blogger and freelance writer. She always tries to write about ordinary things in a creative way.
App of the Month
Every month we are going to feature a different, and hopefully FREE, iPad/iPod/iPhone/Android educational application. Visit our ever-changing app page.
The App of the Month for June is Fish School By Duck Duck Moose LLC ( iOS and Android ).
A playful underwater experience with 8 educational activities, this award-winning app teaches letters, numbers, shapes, colors and more. Watch colorful fish create letters; Recognize numbers and learn to count from 1 to 20; Follow the fish as they form shapes; Touch, tap and drag to make fish and other colorful sea life do funny things; Listen to classical variations of the ABC Song. AWARDS: Parents’ Choice Gold Award; Children’s Technology Review Editor’s Choice Award. AGES: 2-5.
8 EDUCATIONAL ACTIVITIES:
- LETTERS: Learn ABCs by watching the fish make letters
- NUMBERS: Recognize numbers and learn to count from 1 to 20
- SHAPES: Follow the fish as they form different shapes
- COLORS: Select a swimming fish of any color, and watch the ocean become that color
- DIFFERENCES: Identify which fish doesn’t belong
- MATCHING: Find the matching fish
- PLAY: Touch, tap and drag colorful fish to make them do funny things
- MUSIC: Listen to classical variations of the ABC Song
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later on Apple devices and Android 2.3 and up on your Android device.
WHAT'S HAPPENING THIS MONTH?
Here are some of the June events that you can celebrate or make note of this month:
- Black Music Month - Celebrate music and influential African American musicians, from jazz musicians to singers and songwriters.
- Child Vision Awareness Month - Did you know that 25 percent of school-aged children have vision problems? Make sure to get your child's eyes checked before starting school this fall. Here are some great tips and resources for parents. If your child does have vision problems, I4C also has resources for the visually impaired.
- World Environment Day (6/5) - Protect nature and the Earth not only today but every day! Find out about how human activities affect the environment. Learn about conserving resources. Here are some great activities about recycling you can do in the classroom and at home.
- Flag Day (6/14) - Did you know that we celebrate Flag Day today because on this day in 1777, the Continental Congress adopted our national flag? Find history about the U.S. flag, lesson plans, crafts, and more on our Flag Day page.
- Father's Day (6/18) - Did you know that Father's Day wasn't an official holiday until 1966? Honor all the fathers in your life today with Father's Day crafts, printables, recipes, and celebration ideas.
- First Day of Summer (6/21) - Happy Summer Solstice! Find out what causes the change of seasons. You can find fun and educational summer activities here. Don't forget to sign up for our Free Summer Learning Program to minimize students' learning loss and to keep them engaged all summer.
Internet4Classrooms now offers Online Practice and Interactives, covering Kindergarten to Eighth Grade Common Core Mathematics. Look for a rapidly growing variety of thousands of practice quizzes tied to the Common Core State Standards, School Subjects, Activities, and Holidays.
Check out our Online Practice Quizzes! More grades and subjects coming soon!
Internet4Classrooms offers Printables, covering Kindergarten to Sixth Grade Mathematics. Look for a rapidly growing variety of thousands of practice worksheets tied to the Common Core State Standards, School Subjects, Activities, and Holidays.
Check out our Common Core Printables! More grades and subjects coming soon!
We have thousands of answer keys for our printables worksheets supporting the Common Core Standards.
Remember that you can sign up for answer key access here: https://i4c.xyz/n89msyv.
- Many historical events happened this month which you can cover in your classroom. Check outI4C's History page for lesson plans, videos, activities, and other resources to supplement your lessons!
- SIGN UP FOR OUR FREE SUMMER LEARNING PROGRAM! Get free summer learning activities, summer reading lists, summer lesson reviews, and more. Teachers spend on average 4-6 weeks of the new school year getting students back on track. We must keep our students thinking and challenged all year long!
- Use your summer vacation for professional development! Find out more about workshops, seminar series, online courses, and technology based learning concepts.
- Spend this summer doing some summer reading of your own. Get inspired with this book list or focus on professional development with this list.
- Take the time this summer to prep for next year. A great way to do that is to get acquainted with technology you can use in your classroom. Try these great iPad apps that can benefit you in the classroom. Also, learn how social media can be used to your advantage.
- Do you know CPR? Here is a list of places that hold classes, recertification and even online CPR courses and certification.
- Be sure to check out I4C's collection of free educational iPhone and iPad apps!
- Remember to visit our Teacher Tools section! This home page contains all the topics you need to use during the school year.
- Go to our grade level help for lesson plans, activities, instructionals, and tools organized by grade and subject.
- Make sure your kids SIGN UP FOR OUR FREE SUMMER LEARNING PROGRAM! Get free summer learning activities, summer reading lists, summer lesson reviews, and more.
- Don't let your kids stay idle this summer. I4C has great educational activities and tons of ideas on how to have fun this summer.
- Celebrate Father's Day with some great activities and crafts you can do at home! Visit our Father's Day resource page to find out more.
- Keep your kids reading this summer! Make it fun for them by doing a reading challenge, joining a summer reading book club, or participating in events at your local library. Find book lists, printables, parent resources, and more here.
- Summer is a great time to visit museums! Search for museums in your area or even visit a museum from home!
- Be sure to check out I4C's collection of free educational iPhone and iPad apps for you and your child!
- You can always visit our Parent Resources page to get grade level practice sites, find online sources, and information pertaining to homework, special needs, reading help, and more.
- Don't forget our Technology Tutorial section in case you need refresher courses in your computer skills.
- Get tips for using Mac OS X if you're a Windows user: If you recently purchased a Mac or if you have been required to use a Mac for work, you might be frustrated trying to use OS X if you have been a long-time Windows user. This article contains seven tips for Windows users who have to use a Mac and OS X. Once you get used to OS X, you may even like it more than Windows. Find out more about the seven OS X tips for Windows users: HERE
- Top Ways to Extend Your iPad’s Battery Life: Apple has a specific time duration that each iPad model should last based on regular usage, but actually reaching that value is quite a task. This article covers many ways to improve the battery life of your iPad by adjusting settings in iOS. Learn more in the article found: HERE.
- 10 Awesome Chrome Extensions You Should Install: There are literally hundreds of great extensions that you can install to enhance Chrome in various ways. There are specific extensions for developers, music lovers, gamers, bloggers, and a bunch of other categories. However, there are some extensions that are more universal and can help pretty much anyone in their daily tasks. This article covers several extensions that you should consider installing. You can find out more: HERE.
We also have other basic instruction in Microsoft Office, including Word 2007, Excel 2007, Powerpoint 2007.
OTHER AREAS OF INTEREST
- Resources for Educators - In this section you can find classroom resources for Exceptional Children, Smartboards, Character Education, Web 2.0 Resources and other topics.
- Resources for Parents - Parents can find resources
on assisting their children with homework, time management, Internet Safety, subject area resources, grade level resources and more.
Our Common Core State Standards are full of resources for every individual standard. Students can take control of their own learning by clicking on the page with the standard number, and choosing their own resource to practice that skill.
Check out our Common Core Math High School Algebra Standards, Common Core Math Standards, and Common Core ELA Standards.
SAT and ACT Test Preparation
Free Online Practice Resources for ACT Tests and SAT Tests! I4C now offers free SAT and ACT vocabulary and math quizzes. Join our SAT and ACT Test Preparation program and log in as much as you'd like. Students can take practice tests on 5000 vocabulary words or over 1000 math problems. Parents and Mentors can log in to monitor your scores - including seeing which vocabulary words that were missed. Interactive quizzes allow the test taker to retake and study as much as they want.