Design and conduct an open-ended scientific investigation to answer a question that includes a control and appropriate variables 0607.Inq.1
Links verified 8/1/2014
- Bird Sleuth: Investigating Evidence - this module consists of five investigations which give students the chance to learn science by doing science
- Dr. Shawn's 10 Easy Steps to Science Fair Success - Although the focus is on science fair projects, you will still get some good guidance on planning a simple investigation. [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- Experiment Template - template for recording information when completing a Science experiment [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- Introducing the Process of Investigative Science Using Worms - Students are introduced to the process of investigative science through a guided inquiry activity.
- Keep-a-Cube - Using materials listed, make a container to see how long you can keep an ice cube from melting. Find out what works best to keep the heat away from the ice cube.
- Reeko's Mad Scientist Lab - experiments sorted by category
- Rock-It Science Experiments - videos that make science engaging for students through silly stories and discovery learning
- Science Experiments Straight from the Web - a lesson planning article from Education World
- Science Snacks from the Exploratorium - use these miniature versions of some of the most popular exhibits at the Exploratorium to plan simple investigations
- Solar Cooker - harness the sun's energy to make a tasty treat (s'mores) - the experiment procedure includes instructions on how to include a control (also s'mores) - good science and tasty fun
- Student Designed Investigations Part 1 - Observations [lesson plan designed for grades 3-5]
- Student Designed Investigations Part 2 - Testable Questions, Predictions, Materials and Procedures [lesson plan designed for grades 3-5]
- Student Designed Investigations Part 3 - Collecting Data and Drawing Conclusions [lesson plan designed for grades 3-5]
- Student Designed Investigations Part 4: Poster Presentations/Science Fair - This unit ends with students deciding on a testable question, designing an investigation, doing the investigation, collecting data and drawing conclusions. Students then create poster presentations of their investigation for a grade level science fair.
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print