in an Integrated Technology Lesson
Before starting to use PowerPoint in the classroom, read Scoring PowerPoints by Jamie McKenzie
"Powerpointing can become a goal in itself - an unfortunate example of technology done for technology's own sake"
Congratulations! You have just been elected Governor of the State of ________. [ Select a state ] The Office of Tourism has just informed you that not enough people are visiting your state, and you must find a way to attract more visitors. You and your Public Relations Director are to create a presentation to display three outstanding features of the state.
Collect information from the Internet, encyclopedia CD's, books, reference materials, welcome center brochures, Email to the tourist division of the state you select, or any other methods you choose. After the research is done, decide what three features you want to include in your presentation. These features will be presented in a PowerPoint slide show.
Use the following Internet resources to collect information about the state you selected:
- Infoplease has a map of the 50 states with state profiles
- Virtual Encyclopedia has a travel USA section with links to each state.
- Stately Knowledge has basic facts about any state
- Library Spot has a clickable map of the 50 states
- Fifty States index gives facts of interest for each state
- See a topographic map of the state you selected
Title slide may include name of your state, a slogan inviting people to visit, and picture(s)
List the three outstanding features of your state.
Slides 3, 4 & 5
On each of the next three slides, give three facts about each outstanding feature you want to promote in your state.
If you feel comfortable with the task, you may ignore the remainder of this tutorial. However, if you are new to PowerPoint you should work through the lessons in order.
Tutorial topics covered include:
- Choosing a template and creating a new slide
- Adding text to a slide, moving the text, and changing text style or color
- Inserting an image into a slide
- Using different slide views
- Animating text
- Creating transitions between slides
- Slide show options
- Ideas shared by other PowerPoint users
If you are doing professional development training with this set of lessons, download a pre-training and post-training survey to evaluate your training effort.