Links verified 2/16/2014
For more Language Arts practice, visit our main Kindergarten Skillbuilders section.
- Aesop's Fables with morals listed. This site has hundreds of fables and fairy tales.
- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll - A twelve-chapter performance in RealAudio and in mp3 format by the Wired for Books Players.
- Barnyard Babies - Counting Story; audio included.
- BBC - CBeebies Story Circle - Many genres of stories for children. Some audio, some not. Be aware that the British accent may confuse some students.
- Beantime Stories from Chateau Meddybemps - ....where jellybeans ripen under tropical rainbows. Check their homepage for other neat things.
- The Greedy Hippo - Listen to this story. The words are below the illustrations.
- Goldilocks and the Three Bears - Listen to the story and then print the sequencing activity.
- The Green Grass Grew All Around - Song and book.
- The Grumpy Bug - Very entertaining and interactive.
- JayJay's Storybook - JayJay is a jet plane who is afraid of the dark. [This expired storybook is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- Kindersite - Multi link with many online stories. Some have audio. Age level is indicated on each.
- Kizclub Stories - Stories are read to the child. Words are outlined for read-along. Excellent site for beginning readers. Loads of different stories.
- Lil' Fingers Storybook - Over a dozen stories and a coloring activities page also. No audio is included.
- Little Bird - "Goodnight, Bird" is a very cute story.
- Little Animals Activity Center - Audio stories where there is interactive participation. This is a British site and the language pronunciation and meanings may seem different at times.
- Little Red Riding Hood - Listen to the story, then do the activities.
- Moogie the Messy Beastie - Great story that is read aloud.
- Online Children's Stories - Group of Story collections.
- Online Stories - This site does not have audio and includes books on colors, numbers, plurals and animal matching.
- Online Stories - This site includes interactive stories, which are perfect for children to read with you or by themselves.
- Printable Story Books - 10 free books, plus 3 more in Spanish!
- RIF Stories - Read along stories and songs, many for Pre-K students. Reading Is Fundamental (RIF), the nation's oldest and largest nonprofit children's literacy organization.
- Tales by Beatrix Potter from Kids Corner
- Sniffy and Fluffy have an Adventure - A frog and a fish take a trip across the pond.
- Stories for Little Kids - Stories with audio and colorful movies.
- Stories to Grow By from Whootie Owl - You can search for stories by type, the values taught, or the place of origin. Stories are age ranked.
- Stories to Read - Starfall interactive stories for emergent readers.
- Story Place - The Children's Digital Library - Visit the elementary library. Audio available.
- Story Place Preschool Library - Online Stories with audio, online activities to go along with the stories; take home activities and parents' activities.
- The Symphony of Friendship - A story about the start of the Japanese custom of playing Beethoven's Ninth Symphony at Christmas. ( 2nd grade and up )
- Woodpecker's Knocking - Story with audio.
- You Make the Story (Plaid-Libs) - Children supply adjectives, adverbs, verbs, nouns and pronouns and then a silly story is generated.
- Don't see a book you are looking for? Do a search by author , or by title from the Digital Library at the University of Pennsylvania.
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print