October 25: What Happened on This Day in History (Elementary Level)?
(Page last edited 10/12/2017)
- 1616 - Dutch sea-captain Dirk Hartog makes second recorded landfall by a European on Australian soil, at the later-named Dirk Hartog Island off the West Australian coast.
- 1861 - The Toronto Stock Exchange is created.
- 1940 - Benjamin O. Davis, Sr. is named the first African American general in the United States Army.
- 1962 - Nelson Mandela is sentenced to five years in prison.
- 2010 - Mount Merapi in Central Java, Indonesia, begins over a month of eruptions.
- Famous Birthdays: Johann Strauss II (Austrian composer), John Francis Dodge (American automobile pioneer), Pablo Picasso (Spanish painter and sculptor), Richard E. Byrd (American explorer), William Higinbotham (American physicist)
For famous birthdays and other daily events in history, visit our Daily Dose Activities.