November 3: What Happened on This Day in History (Elementary Level)?
(Page last edited 10/12/2017)
- 1493 - Christopher Columbus first sights the island of Dominica in the Caribbean Sea.
- 1817 - The Bank of Montreal, Canada's oldest chartered bank, opens in Montreal, Quebec.
- 1868 - John Willis Menard was the first African American elected to the United States Congress. Because of an electoral challenge, he was never seated.
- 1911 - Chevrolet officially enters the automobile market in competition with the Ford Model T.
- 1957 - Sputnik program: The Soviet Union launches Sputnik 2. On board is the first animal to enter orbit, a dog named Laika.
- Famous Birthdays: Benvenuto Cellini (Italian sculptor and painter ), Bernardino Ramazzini (Italian physician), Georg Reutter (Austrian organist and composer), Robert Smith (American politician, 6th Secretary of State), Adolf Dassler (German businessman, founded Adidas)
For famous birthdays and other daily events in history, visit our Daily Dose Activities.