November 27: What Happened on This Day in History (Elementary Level)?
(Page last edited 10/12/2017)
- 1895 - At the Swedish-Norwegian Club in Paris, Alfred Nobel signs hislast will and testament, setting aside his estate to establish the Nobel Prize after he dies.
- 1924 - In New York City, the first Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade is held.
- 1968 - Penny Ann Early became the first woman to play major professional basketball, in an ABA game Kentucky Colonels vs. Los Angeles Stars.
- 1971 - The Soviet space program's Mars 2 orbiter releases a descent module. It malfunctions and crashes, but it is the first man-made object to reach the surface of Mars.
- 2001 - A hydrogen atmosphere is discovered on the extrasolar planetOsiris by the Hubble Space Telescope, the first atmosphere detected on an extrasolar planet.
- Famous Birthdays: Anders Celsius (Swedish astronomer), Charles Scott Sherrington (English physiologist, Nobel Prize laureate), Lars Onsager (Norwegian chemist, Nobel Prize laureate), Fe del Mundo (Filipino pediatrician), Cornelius Vanderbilt II (American businessman)
For famous birthdays and other daily events in history, visit our Daily Dose Activities.