July 27: What Happened on This Day in History (Elementary Level)?
(Page last edited 10/12/2017)
- In 1866, after two failures, Cyrus W. Field succeeded in laying the first underwater telegraph cable between North America and Europe.
- In 1909, Orville Wright tests the first US Army airplane, flying 1hour 12minutes 40seconds.
- In 1940, Bugs Bunny debuts in Warner Brothers animated cartoon "A Wild Hare".
- In 1965, President Johnson signs a bill requiring cigarette makers to print health warnings on all cigarette packages about the effects of smoking.
- In 1974, the House Judiciary Committee recommended that President Richard Nixon be impeached and removed from office
- Famous Birthdays: Alex Rodriguez (A-Rod, baseball player), Geoffrey De Havilland (British aircraft designer), Norman Lear (TV producer), Jonathan Rhys Meyers (actor)
For famous birthdays and other daily events in history, visit our Daily Dose Activities.