July 17: What Happened on This Day in History (Elementary Level)?
(Page last edited 10/12/2017)
- In 1821, Florida was ceded to the United States by Spain.
- In 1867, the Harvard School of Dentistry becomes the first dental school in the U.S.
- In 1902, the air conditioner was invented.
- In 1955, Disneyland opens in Anaheim, California.
- In 1975, an Apollo spaceship docked with a Soyuz spacecraft in orbit in the first superpower linkup of its kind.
- Famous Birthdays: James Cagney (actor), Erle Stanley Gardner (author), Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, Belinda Carlisle (singer)
For famous birthdays and other daily events in history, visit our Daily Dose Activities.