History: What Happened Today?
- In 1890, Wyoming becomes the 44th state of United States and the first to grant woman suffrage (women could vote!)
- In 1892 , the first concrete-paved street was built in Bellefountaine, Ohio.
- In 1933, Eastchester Township, NY began operating the first police radio system.
- In 1949, WJAR TV (Channel 10) in Providence, RI (NBC) begins broadcasting.
- In 1958, the first parking meters were installed in England.
- Famous Birthdays: Camille Pissarro (French painter), Arthur Ashe (tennis champion), Adrian Grenier (actor), Adolphus Busch (American brewer), Mary McLeod Bethune (American educator and Civil Rights Activist), Arlo Guthrie (musician), Jessica Simpson (singer), Marcel Proust (novelist)
For famous birthdays and other daily events in history, visit our Daily Dose Activities.