January 12: What Happened on This Day in History (Elementary Level)?
(Page last edited 10/12/2017)
- 1915 - The Rocky Mountain National Park is formed by an act of U.S. Congress.
- 1915 - The United States House of Representatives rejects a proposal to give women the right to vote.
- 1932 - Hattie Caraway becomes the first woman elected to the United States Senate.
- 2007 - Comet C/2006 P1 (McNaught) reaches perihelion becoming the brightest comet in more than 40 years.
- 2010 - The 2010 Haiti earthquake occurs killing an estimated 316,000 and destroying the majority of the capital Port-au-Prince.
- Famous Birthdays: Jan Baptist van Helmont (Flemish chemist and physician), Johan August Arfwedson (Swedish chemist), étienne Lenoir (French engineer, designed the Internal combustion engine), Paul Hermann Müller (Swiss chemist, Nobel Prize laureate), Jeff Bezos (American businessman, founded Amazon.com
For famous birthdays and other daily events in history, visit our Daily Dose Activities.