February 24: What Happened on This Day in History (Elementary Level)?
(Page last edited 10/12/2017)
- 1582 - Pope Gregory XIII announces the Gregorian calendar.
- 1607 - L'Orfeo by Claudio Monteverdi, one of the first works recognized as an opera, receives its première performance.
- 1868 - Andrew Johnson becomes the first President of the United States to be impeachedby the United States House of Representatives. He is later acquitted in the Senate.
- 1980 - The United States Olympic Hockey team completes their Miracle on Ice by defeating Finland 4-2 to win the gold medal.
- 2011 - Final Launch of Space Shuttle Discovery (OV-103).
- Famous Birthdays: George A. Moore (Irish author, poet, and playwright), Ernst Reiss (Swiss mountaineer), Gaston Reiff (Belgian runner), Steve Jobs (American businessman, co-founded Apple Inc. and Pixar), Brian Schmidt (Australian astrophysicist, Nobel Prize laureate)
For famous birthdays and other daily events in history, visit our Daily Dose Activities.