December 4: What Happened on This Day in History (Elementary Level)?
(Page last edited 10/12/2017)
- 1619 - 38 colonists from Berkeley Parish in England disembark in Virginia and give thanks to God (this is considered by many to be the first Thanksgiving in the Americas).
- 1674 - Father Jacques Marquette founds a mission on the shores ofLake Michigan to minister to the Illiniwek (the mission would later grow into the city of Chicago, Illinois).
- 1937 - The first issue of the children's comic, The Dandy Comic, is published, one of the first to use speech balloons.
- 1998 - The Unity Module, the second module of the International Space Station, is launched.
- 2006 - An adult giant squid is caught on video for the first time byTsunemi Kubodera near the Ogasawara Islands, 1,000 km (620 mi) south of Tokyo.
- Famous Birthdays: Michel Pignolet de Montéclair (French composer), Samuel Butler (English author), Alfred Hershey (American bacteriologist, Nobel Prize laureate), Pappy Boyington (American pilot, Medal of Honor, recipient), Claude Renoir (French cinematographer)
For famous birthdays and other daily events in history, visit our Daily Dose Activities.