December 3: What Happened on This Day in History (Elementary Level)?
(Page last edited 10/12/2017)
- 1818 - Illinois becomes the 21st U.S. state.
- 1904 - The Jovian moon Himalia is discovered by Charles Dillon Perrineat California's Lick Observatory.
- 1973 - Pioneer program: Pioneer 10 sends back the first close-up images of Jupiter.
- 1992 - A test engineer for Sema Group uses a personal computer to send the world's first text message via the Vodafone network to the phone of a colleague.
- 2005 - XCOR Aerospace makes first manned rocket aircraft delivery of US Mail in Mojave, California.
- Famous Birthdays: Nicola Amati (Italian violin maker), Gilbert Stuart (American painter), Ellen Swallow Richards (American chemist), Manne Siegbahn (Swedish physicist, Nobel Prize laureate), Richard Kuhn (Austrian-German biochemist, Nobel Prize laureate)
For famous birthdays and other daily events in history, visit our Daily Dose Activities.