August 29: What Happened on This Day in History (Elementary Level)?
(Page last edited 10/12/2017)
- In 1862, the United States Bureau of Engraving & Printing begins operation.
- In 1893, Whitcomb Judson receives a patent for the zipper.
- In 1898, The Goodyear Tire company is established.
- In 1965, American astronauts L. Gordon Cooper and Charles M. "Pete" Conrad complete 120 Earth orbits in Gemini 5, the 19th spaceflight of all time.
- 2005 - Hurricane Katrina devastates much of the U.S. Gulf Coast, causing over $115 billion in damage.
- Famous Birthdays: Temple Grandin (Autism expert), Charles David Walker (astronaut), Rebecca De Mornay (American actress), A+ (American rapper), Henry V (King of England)
For famous birthdays and other daily events in history, visit our Daily Dose Activities.