August 24: What Happened on This Day in History (Elementary Level)?
(Page last edited 10/12/2017)
- In 79, Mt Vesuvius erupts and buries Pompeii & Herculaneum, and 15,000 die.
- In 1853 , the first potato chips were prepared by Chef George Crum in Saratoga Springs, NY.
- In,1891,Thomas Edison patents the motion picture camera.
- In 1963, John Pennel is the first to pole-vault 17 feet.
- In 1995 , Windows 95 debuts.
- Famous Birthdays: - Franz Vienboeck (cosmonaut), Cal Ripkin Jr (all-star shortstop), John Bush (US heavy metal singer), Shoichi Funaki (Japanese professional wrestler), Barret Oliver, actor (Never Ending Story, Secret Garden)
For famous birthdays and other daily events in history, visit our Daily Dose Activities.