August 1: What Happened on This Day in History (Elementary Level)?
(Page last edited 10/12/2017)
- In 1619, the first black Americans (20) land at Jamestown, Virginia.
- In 1834, slavery was abolished through out the British Empire.
- In 1903, the first "coast-to-coast" automobile trip (San Francisco -New York) was completed.
- In 1961, amusement park lovers "head for the thrills" as Six Flags Over Texas, the first park in the Six Flags chain, opens
- In 1981, the music network MTV premieres at 12:01 AM.
- Famous Birthdays: Jerry Garcia (musician), William Clark (American explorer with Merriweather Lewis), Francis Scott Key (composer of US national anthem), Robert Todd Lincoln (politician and son of President Abraham Lincoln), Claudius (Roman emperor)
For famous birthdays and other daily events in history, visit our Daily Dose Activities.