July 2015 Picks
Summer Learning Program | July Blog | App of The Month |
What's Happening | Teacher Resources | Parent Resources |
Technology Tips | Other Areas of Interest | Online Practice |
Printables | Common Core | SAT and ACT Test Preparation
July brings National Ice Cream Month, National Picnic Month, Fourth of July, and much more. Visit our monthly newsletter to see all the details. Don't forget to sign up for our great summer learning program.
Summer Learning Program
Did you know that......
- All students experience learning losses when they do not engage in educational activities during the summer.
- On average, students lose approximately 2.6 months of grade level equivalency in mathematical computation skills during the summer months.
- Research shows that teachers typically spend between 4 to 6 weeks re-teaching material that students have forgotten over the summer.
Become a free member and log in each day to find Math, Science, Language Arts, History and more. Our Summer Learning Program will begin in June.
How To Directions for signing up to either Summer Learning or/and SAT/ACT test prep.
July Blog: Tools That Will Make Your Studying Easier
While the school year may have come to a close, it's always a good time to improve study habits. This month's blog features guest blogger Amy Cowan, an educator and freelance writer from Australia. Amy shares seven tools that will help make studying easier and more effective for students of all ages. Check out each one and see which tool works best with your learning/studying habits.
App of the Month
Every month we are going to feature a different, and hopefully FREE, iPad/iPod/iPhone/Android educational application. Visit our ever-changing app page.
The App of the Month for July is the NASA App. If you missed out on going to Space Camp, this app is your hand held access to the world of NASA. Use the app to explore with NASA and discover the latest images, videos, mission information. The app gives you access to over 14,000 images and over 10,000 on demand NASA Videos from around the agency. You can also keep up with the latest news and NASA mission information. Take advantage of summer break by tracking the International Space Station and see if you can watch it orbit the Earth from your backyard. Available for both Android and Apple devices.
Compatibility: Requires Android 4 and higher. Requires iOS 7 or higher.
WHAT'S HAPPENING THIS MONTH?
Here are some of the July events that you can celebrate this month:
- National Ice Cream Month - Stay cool this month with some ice cream! Learn about the history of ice cream and how ice cream is made. Find crafts, activities, and delicious ice cream recipes here.
- National Picnic Month - July is National Picnic Month. Go out and have a picnic with your family! Find creative recipes for breakfast or lunch picnics, picnic-themed songs, books, and games for preschoolers, and fun picnic-themed activities. Find tips for planning a picnic here.
- Canada Day (7/1)- Happy Canada Day! Today is the anniversary of Canada's creation in 1867. Learn about Canada's history, geography, and people. Celebrate Canada Day with fun crafts, games, printables, and recipes.
- Battle of Gettysburg (7/1-7/3) - Today, learn about the battle that was the turning point of the American Civil War. Learn more about Gettysburg and find Civil War activities, printables, and interactive maps here.
- Independence Day (7/4) - Did you know that the Declaration of Independence was approved by the Continental Congress on this day in 1776? Read the Declaration of Independence this Fourth of July and learn about the American Revolution. Find useful resources about the American Revolution here. Check out I4C's Fourth of July page for crafts, activities, and printables to help you celebrate!
- E.B. White's Birthday (7/11/1899) - Happy Birthday to children's author E.B. White! Learn about his life and his works. Find tons of teacher resources, activities, and printables for one of his most popular books, Charlotte's Web. Be sure to check outour page on Elementary School Stories for more story resources that you can use in your classroom or at home.
- Moon Landing (7/20) - "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind." Apollo 11 landed on the moon on this day in 1969. Watch a video of the moon landing and learn about this historical space mission through biographies, fun activities, and books. Don't forget to download the App of the Month for July for all things NASA related.
- Many historical events happened this month which you can cover in your classroom. Check outI4C's History page for lesson plans, videos, activities, and other resources to supplement your lessons!
- SIGN UP FOR OUR FREE SUMMER LEARNING PROGRAM! Get free summer learning activities, summer reading lists, summer lesson reviews, and more. Teachers spend on average 4-6 weeks of the new school year getting students back on track. We must keep our students thinking and challenged all year long!
- Did you sign up for a CPR class in June after reading our newsletter? Make sure you do if you haven't already, this skill could be extremely important during an emergency in your classroom. Take a course online or find a class in your local area through the American Heart Association or the American Red Cross.
- During your downtime this summer, explore our social media pages. Our Pinterest (internet4classr) has tons of boards filled with teacher tips, Common Core help, and classroom activities and stay up to date on new features, articles, and links you can use in your classroom on our Twitter (@internet4classr).
- Stay safe this summer when visiting the pool, beach, or spending a day at the park! Check out these sun and water safety tips as well as these safety tips for outdoor activities.
- Be sure to check out I4C's collection of free educational iPhone and iPad apps!
- Remember to visit our Teacher Tools section! This home page contains all the topics you may need to use during the school year.
- Go to our grade level help for lesson plans, activities, instructionals, and tools organized by grade and subject.
- Make sure your kids SIGN UP FOR OUR FREE SUMMER LEARNING PROGRAM! Get free summer learning activities, summer reading lists, summer lesson reviews, and more.
- Celebrate Independence Day with I4C! Check out our Fourth of July page for crafts, activities, and games you and your child can do together today.
- Be safe on the Fourth of July! Teach your kids about fireworks safety in preparation for the holiday.
- Have fun in the sun this summer vacation! Keep you and your kids safe this summer with these tips on sun and water safety. Also check out these summer safety tips for outdoor activities!
- With summer visits to museums, theme parks, and unfamiliar cities it's important that your child understands the difference between a safe stranger and a dangerous stranger as well as what to do in a dangerous situation. Here are some topics about strangers you should cover with your child. Check out this website where kids can learn more about stranger safety.
- Explore our social media pages! Our Pinterest (internet4classr) has tons of boards filled with fun activities you can do with your child and stay up to date on new features and educational articles on our Twitter (@internet4classr).
- Be sure to check out I4C's collection of free educational iPhone and iPad apps for you and your child!
- You can always visit our Parent Resources page to get grade level practice sites, find online sources, and information pertaining to homework, special needs, reading help, and more.
- Don't forget our Technology Tutorial section in case you need refresher courses in your computer skills.
- Remember to Change Your Passwords - With all the data breaches happening right now, it's important to keep your personal information safe. Don't forget to change your passwords from time to time, especially on online bank accounts and your email! Find more tech help.
- Undo a Sent Email - Accidentally hit the send button on an email? On Gmail, you can unsend emails! Click on the gear icon in the top right of your Gmail page; then click on Settings. Next, click on Labs on the top menu and then enable 'Undo Send'. Save your changes and then you're all set! You only have about 10 seconds to hit Undo, so click it fast! Find more Google tips here.
- Quickly Lock Your Computer - Ever had to walk away from your computer and needed to lock it quickly? Press the Windows Key +L. Your computer is locked until you comeback and put your password in. Find more Windows shortcuts here.
We also have other basic instruction in Microsoft Office, including Word 2007, Excel 2007, Powerpoint 2007.
OTHER AREAS OF INTEREST
- Resources for Educators - In this section you can find classroom resources for Exceptional Children, Smartboards, Character Education, Web 2.0 Resources and other topics.
- Resources for Parents - Parents can find resources
on assisting their children with homework, time management, Internet Safety, subject area resources, grade level resources and more.
Internet4Classrooms now offers Online Practice and Interactives, covering Kindergarten to Sixth Grade Common Core Mathematics. Look for a rapidly growing variety of thousands of practice quizzes tied to the Common Core State Standards, School Subjects, Activities, and Holidays.
Check out our NEW Online Practice Quizzes! More grades and subjects coming soon!
Internet4Classrooms offers Printables, covering Kindergarten to Sixth Grade Mathematics. Look for a rapidly growing variety of thousands of practice worksheets tied to the Common Core State Standards, School Subjects, Activities, and Holidays.
Check out our Common Core Printables! More grades and subjects coming soon!
Our Common Core State Standards are full of resources for every individual standard. Students can take control of their own learning by clicking on the page with the standard number, and choosing their own resource to practice that skill.
Check out our Common Core Math High School Algebra Standards, Common Core Math Standards, and Common Core ELA Standards.
SAT and ACT Test Preparation
Free Online Practice Resources for ACT Tests and SAT Tests! I4C now offers free SAT and ACT vocabulary and math quizzes. Join our SAT and ACT Test Preparation program and log in as much as you'd like. Students can take practice tests on 5000 vocabulary words or over 1000 math problems. Parents and Mentors can log in to monitor your scores - including seeing which vocabulary words that were missed. Interactive quizzes allow the test taker to retake and study as much as they want.