Formulate questions, design studies, and collect real world data. 0606.1.7
Links verified on 7/2/2014
- Data Sources on the Web - many places where your students can collect real world data
- Census Data - from the U S Census Bureau
- City Data - data from numerous sources creating as complete and interesting profiles of all U.S. cities as possible - tens of thousands of city photos, hundreds of thousands of maps, satellite photos, stats about residents and much more
- Current Marine Data - select a region or click on the image map
- Data from the County and City Databooks - this resource provides WWW access to the electronic versions of the 1988 and 1994 County and City Data Books. You can customize your search for a large variety of types of data for many cities.
- Data Library at Math Forum - collaborative projects, data sets, and other sources of data
- Earth Science Data Tools and Web Sites
- FedStats: A to Z Topical List - the window on the full range of official statistical information available to the public from the Federal Government.
- Finding Data on the Internet - You'll soon be checking facts and downloading reputable data on everything from public safety to education to agriculture to crime to economics ... you name it. This site is intended as a resource for journalists, but why not make this a source for projects. Your students can find raw data related to: aviation, demographics, weather, energy, health, immigration and more.
- Gasoline Prices - U.S. retail gasoline prices (weekly U.S. retail gasoline prices, regular grade dollars per gallon, including all taxes)
- Global Change Master Directory - a directory to Earth science data and services (from the Goddard Space Flight Center)
- Global Grocery List Project - How much does food cost in your town? Collect a grocery list of prices from the stores. Post the prices on the web and then compare your prices to prices around the world.
- Human Space Flight - real time data (NASA TV offers real time views from space occasionally)
- Images and Data - The Space Science and Engineering Center of the University of Wisconsin-Madison has links to real time satellite images, real time products, and other data sources.
- Internet Crossroads in Social Science Data - contains over 825 annotated links to data-related resources on the Internet
- Local Census - statistical information about the United States of America and all of its cities, zip codes, and counties.
- Map Stats - Find out the latest census information for a state, city, or town. State & County Quick Facts provides quick, easy access to facts about people, business, and geography.
- National Data Buoy Center - To view observations, left-click a marker on the map. To zoom the map, use the zoom slider on the map; or hold down the Shift key while dragging a box; or click the magnifying glass below the zoom slider to turn drag zoom on and off
- National Space Science Data Center - general public page
- On-Line Data - links to numerous real-time data sets which can be incorporated into your lesson plans
- Quantitative Environmental Learning Project - a rich source of data based projects
- Real Data - a list of data sources posted by Whatcom Community College's Online Math Center
- Real Time Data Projects - from the Center for Innovation in Engineering and Science Education
- Real-Time Data Resources from Ocean Observing Systems - This resource lists was originally compiled as part of a focus group study addressing the needs of educators wishing to use real-time data in their classrooms.
- Real Time Data Sites - also from the Center for Innovation in Engineering and Science Education
- Real Time Geophysical Data - listing of links
- Real-Time Science Data - access page
- Real Time Weather Data - from National Center for Atmospheric Research
- Space Science and Engineering Center - real time data
- Sunspot Numbers - raw data of the daily number of sunspots from 1818 to the present. Is there a project here?
- USGS Real Time Data - water related data for the entire US
- U.S. Economy and the Federal Budget
- United States Historical Census Data Browser to find raw data for projects. You may search census data by decade from 1790 to 1970. There is a wealth of information here.
- Real Estate Lesson: Monthly Payments - The purposes of this lesson are give students opportunities to find collect real world data regarding real estate in major cities from the Web
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print