Read fables, folk tales, fairy tales, poetry, nonfiction, short stories, and chapter books. 0201.8.1
Links verified on 12/30/2014
- Bear's Race with Turtle - Indian myth
- Biographies - identify what a biography is
- Cartoon Fill-ins - Create your own cartoon by filling in the form
- Compare and Contrast WebQuest - Mother Goose has been told that all of her fairytales and rhymes are too old. She is looking for boys and girls to help her rewrite a few of her old stories into newer or modern ones.
- The Difference between a story and a play - visual graph displaying the differences
- Engaging Students in Read-Alouds Using Fractured Texas Tales - Students learn about fairy tales genre in this lesson. [This expired page is from the Internet Archive known as the Wayback Machine.]
- Folk Tales - learn to recognize the features of folk tales
- Hans Christian Andersen fairy tales - Andersen is recognized as a master of the use of informal language in his fairy tales. Choose chronological list to see stories to use with your class.
- How Buzzard Got His Clothing - Indian myth
- Letter Poem Creator: Student Interactive - Letter poems are a particularly apt medium for exploring a defining characteristic of poetry-line breaks. As students work to transform narrative-style letters (shown at left) into poetic format, they are encouraged to think carefully about where to end each line.
- Making Bread - online story
- My Aunt Came Back - poem to print for your students - includes illustrations
- New Twist on an Old Tale - an Internet WebQuest about Cinderella
- Poetry - Word Play - site to create your own poems online
- Readalong Nursery Rhymes - A collection of 18 nursery rhymes to listen to, read, sing, and explore interactively; worksheets and activities can be found here. Each rhyme also comes with a range of extra resources: a 6 page Smart Notebook with characters, scenes, sequencing activities and activity suggestions, an A4 printable poster of each illustrated rhyme, a set of printable cards for sequencing activities
- That Wasn't the Best Part - online story
- Zoo Animal Poetry - Lesson plan introducing poetry format with animals.