Investigate the connection between an organism's characteristics and its ability to survive in a specific environment 0307.5.2
Links verified 10/30/2016
- Adaptation - a term used to describe the ways in which organisms change over time in response to the changing demands of their environment
- Adaptations: Fit for Survival - Students explore the meaning of physical and behavioral adaptation, consider how migration fits in, and identify adaptations that help the Journey North species they track survive.
- Animal Adaptations - animals depend on their physical features to help them obtain food, keep safe, build homes, withstand weather, and attract mates. These physical features are called physical adaptations. Use this Utah Education Network page to investigate animal adaptations.
- Animal Adaptations - lesson plan designed to expand students' knowledge of animal features and behaviors that can help or hinder their survival in a particular habitat - Animal Adaptations Worksheet
- Animal Adaptation E-Safaris - meet some interesting animals to explore how they are adapted to their environments [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- Build Your Own Caterpillar - Build a caterpillar with the tools for surviving in its environment. Look at the environment and then choose the parts that will help your caterpillar have the best chance for survival. [this activity can also be used with standard 0307.5.3 ]
- Designer Animals: Animal Adaptations - a Hot Chalk lesson plan about adaptation in animals - the idea that certain animals have developed features which help them survive in their environment.
- Exploring Ecosystems - explore the living and non-living parts of three extremely different ecosystems and discover how the parts of the ecosystems interact
- How Do Organisms Adapt To Their Environments? - answer at a reference site
- The Living Environment - how living things function and how they interact with one another and their environment
- Ready for Winter - how plants and animals survive the winter weather
- Structural Adaptations - All organisms have adaptations, traits or characteristics, that help them to survive and reproduce in a particular habitat
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print