Recognize when an estimate is more appropriate than an exact answer in a variety of problem situations. 0606.1.2
Links verified on 7/02/2014
- Burnside's Billions - Buy and sell world landmarks. Burnside's fortune is in US Dollars, but users have to use conversion rates to choose the correct amount of money to offer for the landmark in the currency of the nation the chosen landmark is located in.
- Comparison Estimator - Similar to Estimator but compares two sets of objects.
- Estimating Sum - No hints or clues given - instruction and review, practice, and a quiz &
- Estimator - Practice estimation skills by determining the number of objects, length, or area.
- Fermi Questions Library - Fermi questions use estimation procedures to solve questions like "How many jelly beans fill a one-liter jar?"
- How Big are Things - a printable cube to be used in making size estimations [several versions]
- How to Simplify a Number - part of being approximate is simplifying numbers
- Million Dollar Mission - a mathematics fantasy
- More or Less Estimator - Similar to Estimator activity but states a quantity and asks the user to estimate whether the set of objects is more or less than the number given.
- Pinocchio estimation game - suggested game for developing the skill of estimation
- Rounding - Discover how rounding is a process which produces another number that is close to the original number. Learn how to round numbers up or down to the nearest rounding number. Work through the lesson, experiment with the interactive figure and then answer ten questions. [caution: do not submit until you have selected answers to all of the questions] and
- Scaling the Universe to Your Desktop - estimating size
- Weigh the Wangdoodles - Your job is to find the weight of each Wangdoodle using the information provided by the scales. To be successful, you will have to make sure that the weight you assign to each Wangdoodle works on each scale. This activity is a fun but challenging introduction to multiple algebraic equations.
- Word problems - quiz about adding and subtracting fractions
- Your Body as a Ruler - a user's manual
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print