Solve contextual problems using whole numbers, fractions, and decimals. (SPI 0406.2.10)
Links verified on 11/7/2011
- Cameron's Trip - multiply and divide to solve real-world problems
- Computation Castle - a game that requires the utilization of several math skills: mixed numbers/improper fractions, equivalent fractions, metric conversions, exponents, rounding to the nearest thousands and thousandths and place value
- Groups Of Dogs - use arrays to understand the meaning of multiplication
- Let's Go Shopping - estimate by rounding to the nearest dollar as they shop
- Lunch Lady - The Lunch Lady (you) must total the three items on ten lunch trays (one at a time) in three minutes.
- Maggie's Farm - keep up with how many apples are sold and how much money was made
- Math at the Mall - practice percentages and finding the best deal while shopping at a virtual mall
- Math in Daily Life - Playing to Win - information about real world [contextual] problems involving casinos and probability
- Math in Daily Life - Savings and Credit - information about real world [contextual] problems involving managing debt
- Mathematics Problem Solving Index - practice at solving a variety of word problems
- Shopping at Troy's Toys - percent shopping
- Solving Math Word Problems - A Study Guides and Strategies web site posted by the University of St. Thomas
- Spy Guys Interactive - Problem Solving Bank - Lesson 20. (fifteen problems to solve, with suggested strategies given)
- Taming Word Problems - a WebQuest
- Teacher Dodgeball - fill in numbers on an equation - Each blank of the equation stands for a number on a teacher. Hit the teacher with the number that goes next in the equation by clicking on them.
- Two-step Computation - multiply and add to find costs of food
- Translating Word Problems - The hardest thing about doing word problems is taking the English problem and translating it into math. A lesson from Purplemath, a great Algebra resource
- What Percentage of your Class is Right or Left Handed? - a data collection and analysis class experiment
- Who Wants Pizza? - work through ten interactive pages on pictorial representations of fractions
- Word Problems For Kids - This is a set of carefully selected problems (grade 5 to Grade 12) which can help you improve your problem solving skills.
- Word Problem Practice - Problems in addition, subtraction and more (Warning: many pop-up ads on this site) (grades 1-5)
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print