Links verified 4/5/2020
- Analogy of the Day - From FactMonster. Hints and answers are provided. (Our Language Arts page has more analogy sites )
- A Word A Day - Each week a different theme on daily vocabulary words and their definitions. This site provides a pronunciation of the word via a .wav file or a RealAudio file. You can also subscribe to the daily word by email.
- Daily Buzzword - Come see what all the buzz is about at the Daily buzzword
- FreeDictionary - Learn a new word for the day, an article of the day, history of the day, word game of the day and more.
- Merriam Webster's Word of the Day - Learn a new word, see an example sentence and then learn about the derivation of the word. Webster will even Email this to you on a daily basis. Enlarge the vocabulary of your High School level students.
- Sources for Quotations - Many sites are available for finding quotations. The first link suggests ways to use quotations in your classroom.
- Story of the Day - Hear a read-a-loud story everyday, from Read Me a Book.
- Story Starters - Here's a quick writing activity to try every day. First generate a creative story starter. Pick a format: notebook, letter, newspaper, or postcard. Four levels are available: K-1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th-6th.
- Vocabulary Builders
- What Does it Mean? - Word of the day, audio is provided for pronunciation. Given another chance if choose wrong answer. Correct answer is displayed with full explanation. From Infoplease.com
- Word Game contests - There are seven separate vocabulary quizzes and each one features a new quiz for each day of the quiz. That's 49 to choose from. These will tease your brain!
- Word Game of the Day - Play a new puzzle every day or visit the archive.