CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.1.4 - Ask and answer questions to help determine or clarify the meaning of words and phrases in a text.
Authors: National Governors Association Center for Best Practices, Council of Chief State School Officers
Title: CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.1.4 Ask And Answer Questions To Help Determine Or Clarify... Reading:Informational Text - 1st Grade English Language Arts Common Core State Standards
Publisher: National Governors Association Center for Best Practices, Council of Chief State School Officers, Washington D.C.
Copyright Date: 2010
(Page last edited 10/08/2017)
- At the Beach - Read the story as a whole class or small groups; no audio.
- Dinosaurs ; Read about different types of these animals. - Students will read an informational paragraph about Ankylosaurus, Iguanodon, and Brachiosaurus then answer questions about each. An answer key is provided.
- Folktales and Fables - Many familiar folktales to read; stories are in form of a puppet show.
- Informative Text - Select a story on the left side of the window from the Social Studies section.
- Nursery Rhymes - Many rhymes to read and share with students.
- Penguins - Read the story as a whole class or small groups; no audio.
- Rainbows - Read the story as a whole class or small groups; no audio.
- Stories - Many stories, some with audio. Listen and discuss unknown words.
- The Three Pigs - Video; online illustrations with Mrs. P reading the story; words and punctuation visible while reading.
- The Wishing Tree - Audio interactive story; ask children to make up their own questions or teacher led questions can be answered by the class.
- The Yellow Gorilla - Listen to this audio story and then ask and answer questions about the text.
- Words in Context - Online game; read the sentence, find the answer, then play the arcade game, hitting the duck with the correct answer.