Use strong verbs and figurative language (e.g., metaphors, similes) for emphasis or creative effect as appropriate to the purpose. 0601.3.11
Links verified on 6/1/2014
- A Fun Way to Teach Similes - a lesson idea from Bruce Lansky
- Bud, Not Buddy - quizzes on similes & metaphors Matching | Flashcards | Concentration
- Chasing Metaphors - students explore the figurative language of metaphors by turning a series of objects, concepts, events, or characters into metaphors, first in written form and then by creating a video with images, text, and sound [Quick Time required] [This expired page is from the Internet Archive known as the Wayback Machine.]
- Do you know your metaphors? - drag words to make a metaphor
- Do you know your similes? - drag the nouns to complete a Simile (Refresh the page to get a new set.)
- Figurative Language Baseball - Batter Up! pick the correct figurative term.
- Figurative Language - terms, definitions, and an example
- Figurative Language Quiz - alliteration, similes and metaphors, personification, connotation and imagery
- Grammar Blast - several quizzes practicing 6th Grade skills [7th and 8th also available]
- Literary Devices Quizzes - similes, metaphors, personification, slang/dialect and allusions - Matching | Concentration | Flashcards
- Metaphor Lists - a selection of metaphors by category, complete with sample usage and interpretation7
- Metaphor Battleship Quiz - Quia quiz using the Battleship game format
- Metaphor Quiz - a five-question quiz at Quia
- Metaphor Quiz - a ten-question quiz at Quia
- Metaphor Quiz to print
- Metaphors and Similes - lesson and practice
- Parts of Speech Quiz - select correct part of speech
- Power Proofreading - Choose 6th grade then select; E-Mail to Ms. Jackson, Chuckles the Clown, The Mouse Power Awards, Just Plain Dirt, Morning Talk Show, or any one of the mixed practice exercises.
- Simile lesson with a printable quiz
- Similes and Metaphors - Identify the comparison in each sentence as a simile or a metaphor [ignore the email address blank].
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print