Solve problems using estimation and comparison within a single set of data. (SPI 0406.5.2)
Links verified on 11/26/2011
- Comparison Estimator - an activity which allows the user to compare two quantities by estimating
- Cool to Rule: A Game of Estimation and Measurement - lesson plan for helping students estimate and compare length
- Data Picking - students collect data, enter tally marks or numbers and then select which graph is appropriate
- Estimate Differences - Estimate the difference by rounding each number to the nearest hundred and then subtracting
- Estimate Differences - Estimate to solve word problems.
- Estimation: Mixed Operations - Estimate sums, differences, products, and quotients to solve word problems.
- Estimate Products - Flash multiplication tutorial
- Estimate Products - Estimate the product. Round the second factor to the nearest hundred, and then multiply.
- Estimate Products - Estimate to solve word problems.
- Estimate Quotients - Determine which sign makes the sentence true.
- Estimate Quotients - Estimate to solve one-digit divisor problems.
- Estimate Sums - Estimate the sum by rounding each number to the nearest hundred and then adding.
- Estimate Sums - Estimate to solve word problems.
- Estimate Sums and Differences of Decimals - Estimate the sum by rounding each number to the nearest whole number and then adding.
- Estimating - helpful suggestions from S Cool, a UK educational site
- Estimating Answers to Calculations: Multiple Choice - [Skillwise worksheet] Exercise in using estimating strategies to eliminate possible answers to problems
- Estimating Numbers Using Rounding - [Skillwise factsheet] suggestions for your students regarding using rounding when estimating [Caution: UK money used]
- Estimation Topics - index of estimation activities, each of which includes a practice area and a quiz designed as a game
- Estimator Four - This activity allows two users to play a game of estimation where each player tries to connect four game pieces in a row before his or her opponent does. The players earn game pieces by accurately estimating the answers to various problems. Users can choose to estimate addition, multiplication, and percentage problems.
- Exact or Estimate - [designed for grade 3] Flash video lesson which gives students the chance to answer questions
- The Hot Tub - This is a fun activity where students tell the story behind a graph and relate slope to rate of change.
- How Many Pearls? - You've just stumbled on a treasure chest filled with pearls and you want a quick estimate of the number, without having to count them one by one. Choose a method to estimate.
- How Much is on the Floor? - A mixing in math activity for ages 5-11
- Interpreting Data - survey a small group by clicking on each of the children, turn the tally marks into two types of graphs and then go back and take a different survey
- Interpreting Data Quiz - after you finish the lesson above, take this quiz
- Key Words for Mental Math - Addition - Subtraction - Skillwise factsheets
- More or Less Estimator - an activity which allows the user to estimate quantities and sizes including the number of objects in a set, the lengths of a curve, and the area of a shape
- Spy Guys Interactive - Understanding and Interpreting Graphs - Lesson 10
- Using Estimation to Solve Problems - [7:23] video lesson
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print