Identify reasons for choosing one source over another, including those found on Web sites. 0601.4.6
Links verified on 6/16/2010
- The ABC's of Web Site Evaluation (presented by Kathy Schrock) - Evaluation of Web sites is an important skill to learn in this age of digital and information literacy. Students and teachers need practice in critically examining sites to determine authority, authenticity, and applicability to purpose. This site provides that practice.
- Critical Evaluation of Resources - In the research process you will encounter many types of resources including books, articles and web sites. But not everything you find on your topic will be suitable. How do you make sense of what is out there and evaluate its authority and appropriateness for your research?
- Critically Analyzing Information Sources - the emphasis here is on print sources
- Electronic Resources - activity requiring students to use sources to find information before taking a short quiz
- Electronic Text - requires students to use sources to find information before taking a short quiz
- Evaluation of information sources - This page contains pointers to criteria for evaluating information resources, particularly those on the Internet.
- Evaluating Information Found on the Internet - a thoughtful guide to evaluating web and other Internet resources
- Evaluation of information sources from the web - critically evaluate a Web page for authenticity, applicability, authorship, bias, and usability
- Evaluating Internet Research Sources - scroll near the bottom of the page to find a Checklist for Research Source Evaluation
- Evaluating Web Pages - Techniques to Apply & Questions to Ask
- The Good, The Bad & The Ugly - or, Why It's a Good Idea to Evaluate Web Sources
- Looking for the Fine Print - students read advertisements to practice reading critically
- Quality Information Check List -a resource to help young people evaluate the information they find on the Internet.
- Teaching Zack to think (from Alan November) - it is essential that students learn how to validate information.
- TV News Magazines and the Credibility Issue: The Scope of the Problem - article about reliability.
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print