5th Grade - Negative Numbers
Explore numbers less than 0 by extending the number line through familiar applications (e.g., temperatures below zero, owing money, measuring elevation below sea level). 0506.2.9
Links verified on 9/15/2015
- Adding and Subtracting Integers - using a number line, several examples of adding to a negative integer are given
- Applications of Integers - deals with negative numbers in the real world; temperature, banking, and sea level measurement are discussed, in addition hockey's use of negative numbers is included
- Colored Chip Models - use manipulatives to model addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division with positive and negative integers [includes two practice problems]
- Comparing Values - Create your own math facts worksheets for comparing values. Problems can include calculations using positive and negative numbers, and two-digit decimal values.
- Explaining Negative Numbers - Video from YouTube (may be blocked by some school filters)
- Integers - [designed for grade 6] Spy Guys Video on number line and negative integers.
- Negative Numbers on a Number Line - explanation from the Math League [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- Negative Numbers for Children - Learn this card game to help students understand negative and positive numbers.
- The Number Line - explanation, illustration, and practice
- The Number Line - sea level and temperature examples are given on a vertical number line
- Teaching Operations for Integers - Number line practice, patterns and more.
- Tips for Teaching Integers - Helpful tips on teaching number line, negative and positive.
site for teachers |
PowerPoint show |
Acrobat document |
Word document |
whiteboard resource |
video format |
interactive lesson |
a quiz |
lesson plan |
Internet4classrooms is a collaborative effort by
Susan Brooks and Bill Byles.