Explore numbers less than 0 by extending the number line through familiar applications (e.g., temperatures below zero, owing money, measuring elevation below sea level). 0506.2.9
Links verified on 12/8/2011
- Adding and Subtracting Integers - using a number line, several examples of adding to a negative integer are given
- Applications of Integers - deals with negative numbers in the real world; temperature, banking, and sea level measurement are discussed, in addition hockey's use of negative numbers is included
- Colored Chip Models - use manipulatives to model addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division with positive and negative integers [includes two practice problems]
- Comparing Values - Create your own math facts worksheets for comparing values. Problems can include calculations using positive and negative numbers, and two-digit decimal values.
- Explaining Negative Numbers - Video from YouTube (may be blocked by some school filters)
- Integers - [designed for grade 6] Spy Guys Video on number line and negative integers.
- Negative Numbers on a Number Line - explanation from the Math League
- Negative Numbers for Children - Learn this card game to help students understand negative and positive numbers.
- The Number Line - explanation, illustration, and practice
- The Number Line - sea level and temperature examples are given on a vertical number line
- Teaching Operations for Integers - Number line practice, patterns and more.
- Tips for Teaching Integers - Helpful tips on teaching number line, negative and positive.
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print