Model algebraic expressions with manipulatives, technology, and pencil and paper. 0606.1.11
Links verified on 7/2/2014
- Activities at Illuminations - Illuminations has 102 activities available. Select which types of activities you’re looking for, and click Search.
- Base 10 Blocks - print and cut along the solid lines
- Base Blocks Addition - Base blocks consist of individual units, longs (containing 10 units), flats (containing 10 longs), and blocks (containing 10 flats) and can be used to show place value for numbers and to increase understanding of addition and subtraction algorithms.
- Colored Chip Models - use manipulatives to model addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division with positive and negative integers [includes two practice problems]
- Electronic Examples - index of e-examples from principles and standards for school mathematics, organized by grade level
- Geoboard - from NVLM
- Geometry Board - Use this virtual geoboard to explore geometric concepts of area and perimeter. How many shapes can you makes with a perimeter of 16 units? What happens to the area of these shapes? What sort of shapes maximize area? Which ones provide the smallest area? or
- Integer Bars - interactive site - instructions on how to use the applet
- Integer Bars: Cuisenaire Rods - Hands-on to learn almost every math concept: number sense, basic math skills (addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division), fractions, algebra, and more.
- Interactive Geoboard - not very much explanation is given with this interactive site
- Maths Frame Manipulatives - thirteen types of free interactive resources designed for use on a whiteboard
- National Library of Virtual Manipulatives
- The Online Geoboard - Use the Java Applet of a real Geoboard to construct any number of shapes without the limit of the actual Geoboard. The Geoboard gives the user a virtual rubber band which can then be stretched over the pegs in the board. Use the rubber band to construct shapes and study the relationship between the the shape of the rubber band and the area inside the rubber band.
- Tangrams - interactive geometric site or
- Teacher Dodgeball - fill in numbers on an equation - Each blank of the equation stands for a number on a teacher. Hit the teacher with the number that goes next in the equation by clicking on them.
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print