5th Grade - Sound Devices
Recognize sound devices in poetry (e.g., onomatopoeia, alliteration, rhythm,rhyme, repetition). 0501.8.15
Links verified on 9/12/2014
- All About Alliteration - (3rd-5th) Responding to Literature Through a Poetry Link - a lesson plan from Read.Write.Think
- Analyzing Poetry Tips - The elements of analyzing poetry listed at this site will help you identify the meaning through its parts and give a sense of interpreting a poem.
- Circus Builder - Gather up acts for a three-ring circus by finding matching vowel sounds. Select the word that has the same vowel sound as the given word. (rhyming words)
- Examples of Alliteration - sound files from movies and political speeches
- Figurative Language Quiz - alliteration, similes and metaphors, personification, connotation and imagery
- Personifications, Alliterations, Onomatopoeias, Similes, Metaphors, Hyperboles, Oxymorons, Puns - a matching or flash card review game at Quia.
- Poetic Devices - a classroom sign about the forms of poetic devices [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- Poetry Terms - Match the terms with the examples recognizing the sounds of language
- Poetry Writing Practice - worksheet on forms of language
- Rags to Riches - Analogies, Alliteration, Onomatopoeia, & Simile - a two person quiz game at Quia.
- Simile, Metaphor, Alliteration, Euphemism, Onomatopoeia - six word play quizzes, each has five examples to categorize Quiz 1 | Quiz 2 | Quiz 3 | Quiz 4 | Quiz 5 | Quiz 6
- Twenty Six examples of Alliteration - one per letter of the alphabet [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- Welcome to Alpine Ski Lodge - For each given word, you will be given a list of three words and asked to select the one with the same vowel sound as the letter pair (in red) in the given word. (rhyming words)
- Wizards and Pigs: Episode I Poetry Pickle - students identify rhyme, rhythm, and alliteration
site for teachers |
PowerPoint show |
Acrobat document |
Word document |
whiteboard resource |
video format |
interactive lesson |
a quiz |
lesson plan |
Internet4classrooms is a collaborative effort by
Susan Brooks and Bill Byles.