Distinguish among various literary genres (e.g., poetry, drama, letters, ads, historical fiction, biographies, autobiographies). SPI 0501.8.3
Links verified on 11/29/2013
- Analyzing Poetry Tips - The elements of analyzing poetry listed at this site will help you identify the meaning through its parts and give a sense of interpreting a poem.
- Cavalier Poetry and Drama - introduction to the literary movement that flourished from 1625 to 1649
- The Difference between a story and a play - [designed for grade 3] visual graph displaying the differences
- The difference between nonfiction and fiction - a ThinkQuest entry designed by students
- Elements of Drama - A graphic organizer to fill in the elements of a drama
- Folk Tales - [designed for grade 3] learn to recognize the features of folk tales
- Genre, audience and purpose - How to be clear bout the type of writing you are working towards.
- Genre Definitions - a list of genres appropriate for K-12 and their definitions.
- Genre Lessons - A list of lessons that teach genre writing.
- Gothic, Novel, and Romance: Brief Definitions - explanations and examples of these types of literature.
- Literature as a Jumping Off Point for Nonfiction Inquiry - lesson plan - invite students to read across genres and content areas, a practice that often leads to varied forms of writing
- An Overview of Poetry - various parts of poetry
- Poetic Devices - a classroom sign about the forms of poetic devices [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- Poetry Co-op - lesson plan - cooperative learning groups and poetry
- Poetry General Knowledge Quiz - ten multiple-choice questions
- Poetry - How To Read a Poem - A short list of tips that will make it a whole lot more enjoyable.
- Poetry Interpretation and Figurative Language - Lesson plan; In this poetry unit students read, analyze, and compare poetry. [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- Poetry Writing Practice - worksheet on forms of language
- Select List of Literary Genres - A guide for students.
- The Short Story: Read to Write - lesson and activities
- Understanding and Writing Poetry - lesson plan; Students will develop an understanding of poetry by reading poems by others and then writing poems themselves.
- Using Snowflake Bentley as a Framing Text for Multi genre Writing - lesson plan - students will create a working definition of multi genre. Then, using that knowledge, they will work together to create their own multi genre piece about winter, using Snowflake Bentley as a model.
- You Can Read a Poem - Resource for the Teacher: Elaborated Guidelines; what to look for and how to look for it.
- The Works of Robert Herrick - poems to be read online
- Writing genres - A list of many different forms of writing, and methods of teaching genre writing.
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print