5th Grade - Text Features
Select and use common text features to make meaning from text (e.g., headings, key words, graphics, captions, sidebars) SPI 0501.6.2
Links verified on 9/11/2014
- Headings - [designed for grade 4] lesson and exercise
- Mapping the Road - [3:41] A mechanic helps Question Man (Joey Kola) read a road map.
- Parts of a Newspaper - find what you're looking for in a newspaper, read headlines to predict what articles will be about and where you will find them in the paper, and match pictures with the right captions
- Reading the Fine Print - read the fine print in different advertisements, analyze the fine print to see if the deal is worth it, and do the math to figure out the real cost of an "amazing" offer
- Reading Strategies - scaffolding students' interaction with text
- Reading Strategy Checklist - Let students check those statements that reflect the strategies they use.
- Truth in Advertising - read and identify various types of advertisements, analyze advertisements for examples of persuasive writing, generalizing, exaggeration, and scare tactics, and write responses to ads that you've analyzed
- Using a Glossary - [10 multiple-choice questions] a lab activity to recognize and use the definitions in a glossary as they relate to a text [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- Using a Table of Contents - a sample table is given with four questions to answer
site for teachers |
PowerPoint show |
Acrobat document |
Word document |
whiteboard resource |
video format |
interactive lesson |
a quiz |
lesson plan |
Internet4classrooms is a collaborative effort by
Susan Brooks and Bill Byles.