Construct a model of the solar system showing accurate positional relationships and relative distances 0607.6.2
Links verified 11/25/2010
- Build a Solar System - Make a scale model of the Solar System and learn the real definition of "space."
- Exploring Planets in the Classroom - Hands-on Activities for Science Classes. More than 25 hands-on science activities are provided in classroom-ready pages for both teachers and students for exploring Earth, the planets, geology, and space sciences.
- Field Guide to the Universe - Solar System | [this expired page is from the Internet Archive known as the Wayback Machine]
- Learn about the Planets - from KidsAstronomy
NineEight Planets: A Multimedia Tour of the Solar System
- Order it up - Measures of size and scale help us understand the magnitude of objects. Play with scales while trying to arrange planets by magnitude of mass, size, temperature, density, distance, gravity or magnetic field. Correctly order the planets and you unscramble a mystery picture! To play, click on the blue link; Play Order it Up: Solar System Edition
- Planets of the solar system - Click on a planet to get a short bit of information about each one. Caution, relative sizes are not accurate.
- Planetary Orbits - an excellent animation of planetary orbits.
- Pluto demoted to dwarf planet
- See Earth from Eight Different Perspectives - a fantastic series of animations showing our dynamic atmosphere, seasonal variation in vegetation, and six others.
- Size Comparison - a sequence of models compares larger and larger objects - great pictures
- Solar System - This real-time 3D simulation allows the student to inspect our solar system from any angle or vantage point as well as gain detailed information about each element.
- Solar System Image Archive - from Windows to the Universe
- Views of the Solar System - This site presents a vivid multimedia adventure unfolding the splendor of the Sun, planets, moons, comets, asteroids, and more. Discover the latest scientific information, or study the history of space exploration, rocketry, early astronauts, space missions, spacecraft through a vast archive of photographs, scientific facts, text, graphics and videos. Views of the Solar System offers enhanced exploration and educational enjoyment of the solar system and beyond.
- Virtual Solar System by National Geographic - your chance to discover the wonders of our solar system in a spectacular 3-D environment. Take a fly-by tour of the sun and each planet in its orbit, observe close-up views of the planets, extraterrestrial weather patterns, and more.
- Welcome to the Planets - This is a collection of many of the best images from NASA's planetary exploration program.
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print