CCSS.Math.Content.4.OA.A.3 - Solve multistep word problems posed with whole numbers and having whole-number answers using the four operations, including problems in which remainders must be interpreted. Represent these problems using equations with a letter standing for the unknown quantity. Assess the reasonableness of answers using mental computation and estimation strategies including rounding.
Authors: National Governors Association Center for Best Practices, Council of Chief State School Officers
Title: CCSS.Math.Content.4.OA.A.3 Solve Multistep Word Problems Posed With Whole... Operations and Algebraic Thinking - 4th Grade Mathematics Common Core State Standards
Publisher: National Governors Association Center for Best Practices, Council of Chief State School Officers, Washington D.C.
Copyright Date: 2010
(Page last edited 03/04/2014)
- African Safari Story. - Print out this story along with the worksheet. Students will need all four operation skills to complete tasks.
- Camping; story with word problems. - Print out this story along with the worksheet. Students will need all four operation skills to complete tasks.
- Multi-step word problems - Worksheet to be printed; independent practice.
- Multi-step word problems - Worksheet to be printed; guided instruction.
- Multiple worksheets - Select the level of difficulty for your class; many to choose from.
- Online word problem quiz - Critical thinking skills needed to choose correct answer.
- Problem Solving Strategy - Guess and check; write down the steps you use to solve this problem. Can be used as IWB activity
- Problem Solving Strategy Stories - Story problems to be written on the smartboard for discussions on how to solve these multistep problems.
- Solve it! - Videos provide problem solving practice for students. Each set contains five multistep word problems with step by step video solutions. Concepts include basic operations, algebraic reasoning, money, fractions, percent, perimeter, area, proportional reasoning, and measurement.
- Solve problems - Many resources; solve word problems.
- Thinking Blocks - Build a model that represents the story problem.
- Word problems - Worksheet with numerous problems.