CCSS.Math.Content.8.EE.B.5 - Graph proportional relationships, interpreting the unit rate as the slope of the graph. Compare two different proportional relationships represented in different ways. For example, compare a distance-time graph to a distance-time equation to determine which of two moving objects has greater speed.
Authors: National Governors Association Center for Best Practices, Council of Chief State School Officers
Title: CCSS.Math.Content.8.EE.B.5 Graph Proportional Relationships, Interpreting The Unit Rate... Expressions and Equations - 8th Grade Mathematics Common Core State Standards
Publisher: National Governors Association Center for Best Practices, Council of Chief State School Officers, Washington D.C.
Copyright Date: 2010
(Page last edited 03/04/2014)
- Finding the X Intercept and Y Intercept to Graph Standard Form Equations - Five practice problems to practice using what was learned in the lesson above, followed by an answer key
- Fun and Sun Rent-a-Car - Students use tables, graphs, linear functions to solve a real-world problem
- Graphing linear equations - Practice from Math.com
- Practice Converting Linear Equations into Slope-Intercept Form - This show provides several opportunities for student practice [25 slides]
- Proportional Relationships - Proportional relationships: word problems
- Proportional Relationships - Graph a proportional relationship
- Proportional Relationships - Find the constant of variation: graphs
- Rate - Understand that rate compares two quantities of different kinds of units and learn how to express rates as unit rates. Work through the lesson, experiment with the interactive figure and then answer ten questions. [caution: do not submit until you have selected answers to all of the questions]
- Rate of Change Practice Problems - Nine practice problems (including a graph to interpret) followed by an answer key
- Rate of Change: Connecting Slope to Real Life - A lesson on using slope to find the rate of change accompanied by graphs and explanations
- Ratios and Proportions - Solve proportions: word problems
- Ratios and Proportions - Solve proportions
- Ratios and Proportions - Do the ratios form a proportion: word problems
- Ratios and Proportions - Do the ratios form a proportion?
- Ratios and Proportions - Unit rates
- Reading Charts and Graphs - Read bar graphs, pie charts, and grid charts, review percentages in pie charts, and compare types of information shown in different kinds of charts
- Representations of Linear Functions: Cab fares - The charge for a cab ride is determined by the length of travel. Some companies also charge a basic, fixed amount. At this site you will find descriptions of fares of three competing cab companies and you are asked to suggest a new fare.
- Slope Intercept Jeopardy - This show is in Jeopardy format; with five categories each with five questions - good for a while class review
- Straight Lines and Slopes - Explanation from Regents Prep assessment preparation site [from the Internet archive, the Wayback Machine.]
- Tallying, collecting and grouping data - Find out how to tally, collect and group data in this activity.
- The Hot Tub - This is a fun activity where students tell the story behind a graph and relate slope to rate of change.
- Using the X and Y Intercept to Graph Linear Equations - This follow up to the lesson on slope and rate of change deals with linear equations written in standard form rather than slope intercept form
- Word Problems with Katie - Two levels are available: addition and subtraction in level 1, and multiplication and division in level 2 - questions start out easy and get a little harder as you go