CCSS.Math.Content.6.EE.A.3 - Apply the properties of operations to generate equivalent expressions. For example, apply the distributive property to the expression 3 (2 + x) to produce the equivalent expression 6 + 3x; apply the distributive property to the expression 24x + 18y to produce the equivalent expression 6 (4x + 3y); apply properties of operations to y + y + y to produce the equivalent expression 3y.
Authors: National Governors Association Center for Best Practices, Council of Chief State School Officers
Title: CCSS.Math.Content.6.EE.A.3 Apply The Properties Of Operations To Generate Equivalent Expressions.... Expressions and Equations - 6th Grade Mathematics Common Core State Standards
Publisher: National Governors Association Center for Best Practices, Council of Chief State School Officers, Washington D.C.
Copyright Date: 2010
(Page last edited 09/28/2016)
- Associative, Commutative and Distributive Laws - Simple explanation from Math is Fun
- Basic Number Properties: Associative, Commutative, and Distributive - Explanation from Purple Math
- Beginning Algebra Tutorial: Properties of Real Numbers - Instruction, examples, and practice exercises
- Distributive Property - A flash video explanation of this property that gives students several chances to practice
- Equivalent Expression Cards - Each of the expressions in the right column is equivalent to the expressions on the row.
- Equivalent Expressions - Look at twelve pairs of expressions and decide if they are equivalent or not.
- Equivalent Expressions - Make the appropriate changes in the tiles as you work through each of the steps in the solution.
- Equivalent Expressions - Pre-Algebra lesson plan with several attached documents
- Equivalent Expressions - Set of video lessons explaining this standard
- Equivalent Expressions - Distributive Property - Explore the relationship between two different formulas, a(b+c) and a(b) + c.
- Evaluating Algebraic Expressions - Evaluating algebraic expressions can be a simple process, but needs to follow an order of operations to get the right answer.
- How to Make Equivalent Expressions Using Division - Make equivalent expressions using division with help from an MIT Masters Candidate in Aero/Astro Engineering in this free video clip.
- Independent Practice: Commutative, Associative, and Distributive Properties - Identify which property is used in each computation
- Interactive Algebra Tiles - Use this to model an equation or to solve an equation
- Multiplication Properties - Instruction, practice and a timed test, students must identify the property described
- Number Properties - From Online Math Learning
- Properties of Integers - Four step lesson; introduction, in-depth explanation, examples, and practice problems
- Simplifying Expressions - Three types of ways to simplify equations
- Word Problems: Equivalent Expressions - A how-to explanation from Hot Math tutors