CCSS.Math.Content.5.NF.B.4 - Apply and extend previous understandings of multiplication to multiply a fraction or whole number by a fraction.
CCSS.Math.Content.5.NF.B.4.a - Interpret the product (a/b) x q as a parts of a partition of q into b equal parts; equivalently, as the result of a sequence of operations a x q ÷ b. For example, use a visual fraction model to show (2/3) x 4 = 8/3, and create a story context for this equation. Do the same with (2/3) x (4/5) = 8/15. (In general, (a/b) x (c/d) = ac/bd.)
CCSS.Math.Content.5.NF.B.4.b - Find the area of a rectangle with fractional side lengths by tiling it with unit squares of the appropriate unit fraction side lengths, and show that the area is the same as would be found by multiplying the side lengths. Multiply fractional side lengths to find areas of rectangles, and represent fraction products as rectangular areas.
Authors: National Governors Association Center for Best Practices, Council of Chief State School Officers
Title: CCSS.Math.Content.5.NF.B.4 Apply And Extend Previous Understandings Of Multiplication To Multiply... Number and Operations--Fractions - 5th Grade Mathematics Common Core State Standards
Publisher: National Governors Association Center for Best Practices, Council of Chief State School Officers, Washington D.C.
Copyright Date: 2010
(Page last edited 10/20/2014)
- Area of a Rectangle: Intermediate Level - Worksheet, answers on page 2
- Area of an Irregular Rectangle - Calculate the area of each figure given
- Area of Complex Figures - Self check, multiple-choice quiz
- Area of Parallelograms - Self check, multiple-choice quiz
- Area of Parallelograms and Trapezoids - Multiple-choice quiz from IXL math
- Area of Parallelograms, Triangles, and Trapezoids - Self check, multiple-choice quiz
- Area of Parallelograms, Triangles, and Trapezoids - Chapter test, multiple-choice quiz
- Area of Plane Shapes - Several plane shapes are listed with the formula for calculating their area, at the end of the page you will find links to ten questions to check student understanding
- Area of Rectangles and Triangles - Worksheet, answers on page 2
- Area of Rectangles and Triangles: Advanced - Worksheet, answers on page 2
- Area of Squares and Rectangles - Multiple-choice quiz from IXL math
- Areas and Squares - Five multiple-choice questions
- Comparing Fractions and Decimals: Place Value - Exercise in expressing decimals as fractions or mixed numbers, simplifying if possible [Skillwise worksheet]
- Index of Lessons - Several lessons on a variety of concepts involving multiplying or dividing fractions from AAA Math
- Multiply Fractions - Four activities available from Visualizing Fractions
- Multiply Fractions - Index of four activities
- Multiply Fractions - Strict - An interactive site from Visual Fractions - These examples will have a mixed number times a mixed number. The product must be entered as a mixed number and in lowest terms.
- Multiply Fractions with Circles - Mixed number times a whole number
- Multiply Fractions with Lines - Instructions are found below the interactive game
- Multiply Two Fractions - This page will show you how to multiply two fractions together. Fill in only one of the three boxes below, with the form that most closely matches the problem you're working on.
- Multiplying and Dividing Fractions - Five multiple choice questions
- Multiplying and Dividing Fractions - The Math Page provides 14 examples of multiplying and dividing fractions
- Multiplying and Reducing Fractions - Select the max value for the numerators and denominators in the multiplication problems and press the Start button.
- Multiplying Fractions - Soccer Shootout - [Caution: the answer must be reduced to be graded as correct. For example; 2/3 not 4/6.] (FunBrain activity)
- Multiplying Fractions - A four part lesson; introduction, in depth, examples, and practice problems (called workout at Math.com)
- Multiplying Fractions - Animated explanation from Math is Fun
- Multiplying Fractions - Math Playground invites you to play with numbers and give your brain a workout.
- Multiplying Fractions - Practice Problems - Thirty-nine practice problems from the Math Page.