Links verified on 3/21/2012
- Defining the Topic Sentence - a lengthy discussion of three paragraphs and their topic sentences from the viewpoint of several experts
- Finding the Topic Sentence and Supporting Details - a quiz posted at Quia
- Identify Topic Sentences - three paragraphs are shown, read and select topic sentences for each - don't click the answers button until you have made your decision
- Identifying the Topic Sentence - five paragraphs to read, each followed by three possible topic sentences
- Lab Activity: Identify Topic Sentence - read six paragraphs and select correct sentence
- Identify the Topic Sentence and Information that Does not Belong - print the page and follow directions [This expired link is available through the Wayback Machine Internet Archive. If the page doesn't load quickly click on Impatient? at the bottom right of the page.]
- Identifying Topics and Main Ideas - [five paragraphs to evaluate] lab activity checking understanding of general and specific elements as they relate to topic and main idea
- Locate Topic Sentence - [five multiple choice questions] a lab activity to locate topic sentences and thesis statements in a textbook passage - a link is provided to display a passage to read
- Locating Topic Sentences - [six paragraphs to evaluate] another lab activity to locate topic sentences in textbook excerpts - five paragraphs to read and evaluate
- Main Points, Support Points, and Specific Details - [10 multiple-choice questions] read the topic sentence and its support point. From the list that follows, choose the specific detail that does not illustrate the support point.
- Topic, Central Point, and Details - [five multiple-choice questions] lab activity to identify the topic, central point, and details in a textbook passage
- The Topic Sentence: lab activity - [ten multiple-choice questions and three essay questions] Select the description that best fits the topic sentence given.
- Topic Sentences and Concluding Sentences - Online quiz
- Topic Sentences and Paraphrasing - High School site.
- Writing Topic Sentences - from the Writing Centre at the University of Ottawa
site for teachers | PowerPoint show | Acrobat document | Word document | whiteboard resource | sound | video format | interactive lesson | a quiz | lesson plan | to print