October 9: What Happened on This Day in History (Elementary Level)?
(Page last edited 10/12/2017)
- 1446 - The hangul alphabet is published in Korea.
- 1604 - Supernova 1604, the most recent supernova to be observed in the Milky Way.
- 1888 - The Washington Monument officially opens to the general public.
- 1986 - The musical The Phantom of the Opera has its first performance at Her Majesty's Theatre in London.
- 2009 - First lunar impact of the Centaur and LCROSS spacecrafts as part of NASA's Lunar Precursor Robotic Program.
- Famous Birthdays: Claude Gaspard Bachet de Méziriac (French mathematician), Charles Walgreen (American entrepreneur), Joe Rosenthal (American photographer), John Lennon (British musician and songwriter- The Beatles), Tony Shalhoub (American actor)
For famous birthdays and other daily events in history, visit our Daily Dose Activities.