May 1: What Happened on This Day in History (Elementary Level)?
(Page last edited 10/12/2017)
- 1707 - The Act of Union joins the Kingdom of England and Kingdom of Scotland to form the Kingdom of Great Britain
- 1894 - Coxey's Army, the first significant American protest march, arrives inWashington, D.C.
- 1930 - The dwarf planet Pluto is officially named.
- 1956 - The polio vaccine developed by Jonas Salk is made available to the public.
- 2011 - Barack Obama announces that Osama bin Laden, the suspected mastermind behind the September 11 attacks is killed by United States special forces in Abbottabad, Pakistan. Due to the time difference between the United States and Pakistan, bin Laden was actually killed on May 2.
- Famous Birthdays: Benjamin Henry Latrobe (English-American architect, designed the United States Capitol), Jules Breton (French painter), Santiago Ramón y Cajal (Spanish neuroscientist and pathologist, Nobel Prize laureate), Morris Kline (American mathematician and educator , Scott Carpenter (American commander, pilot, and astronaut)
For famous birthdays and other daily events in history, visit our Daily Dose Activities.