March 6: What Happened on This Day in History (Elementary Level)?
(Page last edited 10/12/2017)
- 1521 - Ferdinand Magellan arrives at Guam.
- 1788 - The First Fleet arrives at Norfolk Island in order to found aconvict settlement.
- 1820 - The Missouri Compromise is signed into law by President James Monroe. The compromise allows Missouri to enter the Union as a slave state, brings Maine into the Union as a free state, and makes the rest of the northern part of theLouisiana Purchase territory slavery-free.
- 1869 - Dmitri Mendeleev presents the first periodic table to the Russian Chemical Society.
- 1968 - The first of the East L.A. Walkouts take place at several high schools.
- Famous Birthdays: Michelangelo (Italian painter and sculptor), Cyrano de Bergerac (French soldier and playwright), Ben Harney (American pianist and composer), Will Eisner (American illustrator), Gabriel García Márquez (Colombian author and journalist, Nobel Prize laureate)
For famous birthdays and other daily events in history, visit our Daily Dose Activities.