March 30: What Happened on This Day in History (Elementary Level)?
(Page last edited 10/12/2017)
- 1822 - The Florida Territory is created in the United States.
- 1842 - Ether anesthesia is used for the first time, in an operation by the American surgeon Dr. Crawford Long.
- 1855 - Origins of the American Civil War: Bleeding Kansas - "Border Ruffians" from Missouri invade Kansas and force election of a pro-slavery legislature.
- 1867 - Alaska is purchased from Russia for $7.2 million, about 2 cent/acre ($4.19/km²), by United States Secretary of State William H. Seward.
- 1981 - President Ronald Reagan is shot in the chest outside a Washington, D.C., hotel by John Hinckley, Jr. Another 2 people were wounded at the same time.
- Famous Birthdays: Francisco Goya (Spanish painter), Robert Bunsen (German chemist), Vincent van Gogh (Dutch painter), Léon Charles Thévenin (French engineer), Stefan Banach (Polish mathematician)
For famous birthdays and other daily events in history, visit our Daily Dose Activities.